I've known for a while that I wanted to make Grant a superhero cape. My plan is to make one for my neice Sophia too but I have yet to buy the fabric for hers. I looked at random blogs and tutorials online trying to get a feel for how to make one and how to create a pattern. I ended up taking one of Grant's toddler bibs and tracing the neck and then then making an "A" shape on newspaper to make my pattern.
I bought 1 yard of poly satin and 1 yard of green cotton. I was really nervous working with satin because I remembered from years ago my aunt (who is an amazing seamstress) said it could be difficult to work with, which is why I decided to use cotton on the back instead of another satin fabric.
I used my cricut to cut out a "G" template and decided to keep things simple and applique it onto a triangle shape. Originally I wanted to put the monogram onto a lightning bolt but that got nixed pretty fast when I tried to free hand one and it turned out awful.
Here are my few bits of advice if you are going to make a superhero cape and if you're going to use satin to make it. Make sure you clip the curves and corners or the neck will be on wonky...yes, I said wonky. Stitch slow so you will have a slimmer chance of having to rip out seams and risk snagging the fabric. If you're like me you will finish the entire thing, have it all turned right side out and then have to pull it wrong side out 5 times to fix all the things you forgot to do the first time.
Finishing this project makes me want to get started on the rest of my homemade Christmas to-do list.