Friday, September 21, 2012

T-Shirt Scarf

I feel like I have been a little MIA around this little blog of mine but I actually have been crafting behind the scenes.  Unfortunately a couple of my crafty endevours (is that how you spell that? anyway, forgive me) have not turned out too well and I've had to start over or scrap it all together.  More than that, quite a few of my projects are still in progress.  And let me just throw out there that my son has a habit of getting up at 5 am, like getting up for the day at 5am.  You would assume that would mean he takes a longer nap, but no we are still lucky to get an hour out of him.  How is it possible for a 1 year old to get so little sleep compared to others his age.

Now that I've put all my excuses out there, on to the post. 

I've said before that I love repurposing.  For whatever reason it has become a little obsession of mine.  When I started making a t-shirt quilt out of mine and my husband's old shirts (one of those projects that are still in progress) I had a bunch of leftover shirt sleeves I didn't know what to do with.  A normal person would have just thrown them away but not me, I felt compelled to keep them and repurpose them into something.  I saw a post here about a t-shirt scarf and thought it was so cute and decided it would be the perfect project to use up my shirt sleeves by making one for my little man.

I used a small envelope as my template and cut out 2 rectangles per shirt sleeve (one for the front and one for the back).

Then I laid them out in the order I wanted, pinned each right sides together and started sewing.  I ended up with 2 long strips, a front and a back.
 
I pinned them right sides together and stitched all the way around making sure to leave an opening for turning.  Somehow or another 1 of my strips ended up longer than the other, like a full rectangle longer, and there were the exact same amount of rectangles on each strip.  I'm still scratching my head on that one, lucky for me when it comes to some projects I'm not a perfectionist.  Once you turn it right side out just stitch your opening closed and you're done.
 
 
Here it is finished, I really love how it turned out.  It's simple, boyish, and best of all it's repurposed!
 
 
Even my little man loves it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews