Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Toddler Rice Table

I worked in a daycare for 4 years, the majority of which was spent in the toddler room, and I've been trying to recall some of the activities we used to do with them. One of the activities our kids loved was a rice table.  It was a plastic table with a lid, filled with rice, and various toys for the kids to scoop, dump, and pour the rice.  This would entertain them FOREVER, which is rare with any toddler activity. 

I decided I wanted to make one for Grant but given the small space we are in now I wanted a smaller portable one (once we get moved, I'll be working on a much larger version).  I took a medium sized plastic container, dumped a couple bags of rice inside (I got the rice on sale with a coupon for 68 cents a bag) and took some of his toys and put them inside.  Put an old cheap table cloth down, set the rice table in the center, and let them go for it.


You can also color your rice to make it even more fun.  I plan on doing this later but just haven't gotten the chance yet.  Actually I was just excited to let him play with this that I didn't want to take the time.  I found this website for coloring your rice if you want to give it a try.

 
I'm all about cheap entertainment when it comes to kids and lets face it, 2 year olds only stay interested in things for a good 10 minutes and that's on a good day.  Grant actually played in his rice table for about a half hour which gave me some time to get some cleaning done.  So it's a win/win in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews