Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Jambalaya Recipe

For whatever reason I always thought Jambalaya was a difficult meal to make.  I wish now I had just attempted to make it to find out for myself how really simple of a dish it is.  I'm sure if I was Rachel Ray or Bobby Flay or someone like that I could jazz it up with some ingredients I have to search the grocery store high and low to find, but I am neither of those people.  I like simple ingredients and ingredients I more than likely have in my pantry at all times.  I have no desire to spend $6 on 1 spice or seasoning I've never heard of and will only use it once.   Now don't get me wrong I love me some Rachel Ray I just don't cook like her.

I found a few different recipes and in true Lisa style I created my own using a few things from each.  So If you read this recipe and find you are missing 1 or 2 of the ingredients just switch them out for ones you do have or leave them out all together.

1 other thing I have found out when it comes to food......

I'm a HORRIBLE photographer of food.  Ok not like I'm a fabulous photographer of other things but food is so dang hard to get good pictures of. Not to mention the time of day I cook most things the lighting in the kitchen is horrible, there are tons of people around (ok maybe not tons maybe just 4 or 5 but it seems like more), and everyone is starving.  Who wants to stop and take a pretty picture. Not me.  Especially when I've tried and they all turn out awful.

Are you done reading my rambling?

Sorry, on to the recipe.

2 ribs celery diced
1 large onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
2tsp cajun seasoning
3 bay leaves
1/4t thyme
1T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1lb smoked sausage (could also use shrimp or chicken)
1 can kidney beans (these can be left out if you don't have any, thrown in if you do, or used instead of the sausage for a vegetarian meal)
White rice- prepare while other ingredients are simmering according to package directions.

heat olive oil in a pan, add celery, green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onion.  Saute til soft.  Add garlic and cook another minute.  Add smoke sausage, beans, tomatoes and seasonings, let simmer while rice is cooking.  Serve on top of rice.

Yumm-O!
 
I think I'm channeling Rachel Ray......

I've also made it taking out the red and yellow peppers, kidney beans and celery.  I like using these ingredients when I have them on hand because it makes a bigger meal when we have alot of people to feed.  It's an easy way to bulk up the dish.  But trust me it is just as yummy either way you make it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews