Monday, October 17, 2011

Toy Story Birthday

Grant's birthday party was Saturday and let me say this, I will be planning his 2nd birthday way in advance.  I had the ideas for his party for quite a while but didn't actually get started on decorations until 2 weeks before the party, and all I can say to that is...... big mistake!  When it comes to parties and holidays I always have this vision of what I want them to be and all the personal touches I want to add, and needless to say I procrastinate, stress myself out, get hateful, and almost cry because nothing is going the way I want.  I had many ideas that fell apart due to time, money, and pure exhaustion after working all day and taking care of Grant and the house.  However, now that it is all said and done I am so happy it went well and Grant had fun.

I bought 1yd of Toy Story fabric from Hobby Lobby to cover the table, and the banner was made using paper I already had in my stash.

My Cricut and I became very close working on this project, I think we are going to need a little time apart lol.  I cut all the characters out using the Toy Story Cartridge.  I attached kabob skewers to the back of each character and stuck them in a mason jar filled with basket filling.  I found the Toy Story ribbon on clearence at Walmart and decided to wrap the jar in it and attach a number1.


I made his birthday hat using the Elmo Party cartridge and tieing white ribbon to either side, decorating it with dots and a number 1 cut using the Plantin Schoolbook and Accent Essentials.  I made the "I am 1" banner with Cricut scrapbook paper. 

We decided not to have the party at 3pm and just have desserts in order to keep costs down.  I decided to
made chocolate cupcakes with homemade buttercream icing, rice krispy treats, chocolate covered marshmallows, and iced butter cookies.  We usually buy quite a few 2 liters of different sodas but instead I decided to have sweet tea, punch, and bottled water. 



I made Grant a 6 inch smash cake.  I kept the decorating simple by piping a number one on top and making a border around the bottom.



I thought the marshmallow pops were so cute but not as tasty as I would have liked.  The kids loved them though.

I had each of the characters cut out and hung on the cabinets.
 


My mom did the balloon wreath the night before, trying to help me get finished before dawn.  I think the both of us finally made it to our beds at 2 am. 
I bought the straw wreath form at Michaels for 4.99 and my mom used plain straight pins to attach all the balloons.  The Toy Story emblem was made with my beloved Cricut and hung with thread.


I made a 12 month banner, cutting the "frames" out with my Accent Essentials cartridge

I love tissue poms!


I had to make him a special shirt,  I appliqued a number 1 on the back of a white onesie...


and copied a picture from the internet into a word document, printed it on printable fabric from Hobby Lobby and appliquued it on.


When I pictured my little one's first birthday like most mother's I wanted the perfect picture of his cake covered face and since there were so many things that did not go as I wanted I figured there was no way I would be lucky enough to get this perfect shot.....but I did!


Is that not the cutest mouth and hand you have ever seen! haha. 

Now the party is over and all my work is done (for this project anyway), now its time for me to rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews