Monday, May 28, 2012

Homemade Liquid Hand Soap

We were running low on liquid hand soap and for whatever reason (my husband calls it the, I'm cheap reason, but whatever) I really hated the thought of going out and buying more.  I knew there had to be a way to make it myself for a whole lot less than the $1 I would end up paying for the itty bitty bottle of soap that would no doubt last 2 weeks.

I got online and starting searching for a homemade recipe and what do ya know I found one, well a lot more than one, but it was so easy I kicked myself for not making some sooner.

All you need is the 3 ingredients and a couple supplies:

1 gallon of water
2T glycerin
1 bar soap-grated (I use a cheese grater from the dollar tree)
1 gallon jug
1 funnel

Use a stock pot if you have one but if not just 1/2 the recipe so you can use a regular large pot.  Pour 1 gallon of water into a stock pot and turn the heat to medium high.  Grate a bar of soap (I used Ivory that I bought using coupons and paid about $0.30 for each bar) and put it into the pot of water along with 2T of glycerin.  Stir until it's completely melted (do not bring to a boil or anything just melt the soap).
Once melted turn the heat off and let it sit for 10-12 hours.  It will be thick.  If it's too thick add a small amount of water (1/2 cup) and mix with a hand mixer until its the consistency of hand soap.  Use a funnel and pour by the cup full into a 1 gallon jug.

I actually made mine a little too runny but if you have one of those foam hand soap dispensers I think it would work great because the soap for it is more watere down.

I  found the glycerin in the first aid aisle at Walmart for $3.88.  Here is what it looks like (I like to know what I'm looking for when I go to the store).



There was no offbrand and I was hoping to get it cheaper but the bottle will last forever since all you end up using is 2T which was nothing.  With this one bottle I should be able to make enough hand soap to last a year.  I'm so excited to have found this recipe and a new way to save money. 

Up next, my mom has requested I find a recipe for liquid dishwasher detergent.  I have used the homemade powder in mine but it tends to clump up in her dish washer and leave spots.  I have found a few different recipes and as usual I plan on combining the different ingredients and trying them out in the hopes she will no longer have to pay $3.99 for Cascade that lasts no time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews