The official beginning of the Relay for Life year started September 1st, and I had such good intentions to send cupcakes to work with my mom once a month starting then. However, as always September through December is a crazy busy time of year with the holidays and Grant's birthday and I never ended up getting around to it.
So I figured I only have 4 months from now until the end of the school year to raise money with cupcakes and I better get started. Naturally with Valentine's Day this week I thought red velvet would be the perfect flavor, plus I have never made red velvet and have been wanting to for awhile now.
I used the red velvet recipe from the girls of Georgetown Cupcakes except I didn't use red food coloring, I used the Red Velvet Emulsion I also used for the Red Velvet cut out cookies. Since the recipe was from Georgetown Cupcakes I thought I would be blown away with a really great flavor but I have to say I was a little disappointed. There wasn't enough of a chocolate flavor to satisfy me. The recipe calls for 2 1/2T cocoa and I have to say next time I will be using 1/4c to add more flavor. Most of the recipes from Katherine and Sophie say they will make 12 cupcakes and I always somehow end up with 18, I thought this would be the same for their red velvet recipe so I only added 1 1/2T red velvet emulsion. This recipe ended up making 24 cupcakes so I really should have added 2T of the emulsion and I plan to next time I make them.
All this being said, my husband said they tasted good and they were really moist right out of the oven. They rose perfectly and other than wanting a little deeper red color and a little extra cocoa flavor they seemed perfect.