Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Homemade Shout Stain Remover

I have to admit I am not the mom that spends hours trying to preserve her child's clothes at the end of the day by getting the grass stains out of the knees or the kool-aid stains out of his shirts.  I know I'm a slacker.  No stain remover has ever really worked well for me, there seems to always be a light stain still left after I spray, soak, rub in, spray, soak, wash, spray, soak, wash.

It's like a never ending battle.  Me vs. The Stain.

Somehow no matter how hard I work, I always lose.

So I gave up on even trying for a while and just turned all the really badly stained shirts into sleep shirts.  However the time finally came when he stained one of his good shirts that I really wanted to keep stain free.  Instead of spending a bunch of money on Shout or Resolve or Tide stain remover I decided to give a homemade stain remover a shot.  I've had really good luck with all my other homemade cleaners and detergents so I thought my chances might be good.

I found a recipe here and followed the directions.  I took a white kool-aid stained shirt of Grant's and a white tank top of mine with a stain on it (who knows where that came from).  I sprayed them and let them set for about an hour.  Then I soaked them in cold water for an hour or so.  When I took them out the stains were gone.  I wish I had a before and after pic of the shirts but of course I forgot.

Due the ammonia make sure you do not use bleach and you are in a well ventilated area not breathing in the fumes, because this stuff can be strong if you have a large stained area to spray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews