So what did I do about this fear of mine......I sewed both the shirts to the point of having no steps left other than button holes and buttons. Which I guess is a good thing because I only had to switch the presser foot out once and I could run through and face my fear all at once instead of in 2 installments, 1 for each shirt.
I'm so excited they are done and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief knowing my to-do list is shorter.
I'm super proud of them, especially the light blue one. I've had a garbage bag full of some of my husbands old dress shirts, pants, polo shirts, etc, for over a year and have done very little with any of them. Of course my plan from the day I had him clean out his closet was to make Grant some clothes from them. It has taken me this long to make that happen.
Kind of sad when you think about it, but oh well. I used 2 of his shirts to make the lighter blue one. 1 for the main body of the shirt and a small piece of another for the yolk on the back. This was the first and only shirt of the 3 I've made that I didn't use the same coordinating fabric for the pocket flaps and the yolk.
I wish I would have gotten a picture of Grant actually wearing his 4th of July shirt but unfortunately it rained all day and we didn't make it outside or to the fireworks, so it didn't dawn on me to get the camera out. I will say he looked pretty darn cute in it.