Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good as the Restaurant Salsa

Having a low grocery budget and being absolutely determined to stick to my budget means having to come up with things on the fly.

I was in need of some salsa for the quesadillas I was making and refused to buy any at the store.  I remembered seeing a recipe for salsa in my Pioneer Woman cookbook.  I had most of the ingredients so I decided to wing it and my oh my am I glad I did because it turned out delish! 

Don't you just want to crawl through your computer screen and dip a tortilla chip in it?
 
Since I didn't have everything the recipe called for I had to improvise and come up with my own.
Here is my version:
 
Salsa
15oz can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel diced tomato with green chilies
1/2 garlic clove minced
1/2 onion diced
about 6 slices canned jalapeno diced (the book recipe called for a fresh jalapeno but all I had was some in a jar)
pinch of salt
1/4t sugar
1/4t cumin
cilantro to taste-minced
 
Put everything in a bowl and mix.  I used my Magic Bullet and spooned the mixture into it, pulsing it a few times to break up the chunked tomato and combine everything.  This recipe made enough slaso to fill a Ragu jar I had saved for an occasion just like this.
 
 
 
I was so excited with how this salsa turned out and that I made do with items I already had in my pantry.  My husband even raved about how good it was and how much it tasted like the mexican restaurant's where we live.
 
So go raid your pantry and whip up some homemade salsa.  Your family will thank you.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews