Friday, July 12, 2013

Week #6 Shopping- Grocery Challenge

Since we were out of town last week, and most of the week was consumed with unpacking, laundry, and getting back into our normal routine, shopping and menu planning were on the bottom of my list.  So we ate whatever I felt like cooking and whatever was easiest. 

This week we are right back to normal, and at first when I looked at the sale ads and coupon match-ups I was a little disappointed thinking the deals were not at all as good as I had hoped, but it turned out to be a pretty good week.
Friday morning shopping and here's what I came home with:

I hit two stores today Kroger and Aldi, and I didn't get my usual $10 worth of meat since there were no good deals on any and I refuse to pay more than I would normally.
 
2-Honey Nut Cheerios Crunch Medley $2.29 used coupon $0.85 that doubled to $1.70 = $0.59 each
2-Froot Loop Treasures $1.99 used $0.70 coupon that doubled to $1.40 = $0.59 each
2- Green Giant Veggie Chips $0.99 used $0.50 coupon that doubled to $1.00 making them both free
4- Bugles $0.99 used $0.50/2 coupon that doubled to $1.00 = $0.49 each (my husband likes these to take to work for his lunch)
1-Aloha Hawaiian Punch $2.29 used $1.00 coupon = $1.29
2- Canned Veggies $0.67 each since my sister works there we get a 10% discount on Kroger brand items making them $0.60 each
3- Gallons Milk $1.50 each on Manager's Special
1-Loaf Bread = $0.85
1-Hot Dog Buns= $0.89
1- Hamburger Buns= $0.89
10lbs Potatoes $2.99
2lbs Onions= $1.69
1-Tortilla Shells= $0.99
1lb Strawberries= $1.59
1 pint cherry tomatoes= $0.59
2 bags Carrots= $0.59
1 pint Mushrooms= $0.69
2- Canned Veggies= $0.49 each
1-Canned Diced Tomatoes= $0.79 each
 
TOTAL= $26.95 and I received a $2.00 catalina on a future purchase for buying 2 boxes of Cheerios which I had intended to used for 2 gallons of my milk but of course I got in line and completely forgot. 
 
 
Since I take all of my grocery money for the week from our first check of the month, if I find a great deal on meat, milk, bread, or eggs (the weekly essentials) I stock up for the weeks to come. I do not take money from future weeks for anything else.  I have found when you start doing this, the last week of the month inevitably ends up with hardly no money to spend.  When I went to the milk section of Kroger I noticed they had quite a few gallons marked down to $1.50 each!  Since we go through a minimum 3 gallons a week and the ones on sale had an expiration date of July 23 I knew they would last and I bought them up.  I ended up with 7 gallons, 3 for this week, 3 for next, and 1 for the week after that.  I took all but 1 of the manager special gallons, had I had room for more in my fridge I would have bought it too, but I'm so super excited about the savings.
 
 
Where I would normally spend on average $7.50 a week for milk, this week and next I spent $4.50,  saving $3.  To most $3 doesn't seem like much, and most don't probably wouldn't get a whole lot for $3 but depending on the sale and the coupons $3 can get you a lot when it comes to groceries.
 
The last of my $30 grocery budget this week will be spent on eggs and toilet paper.  Our Giant Eagle has a great deal on toilet paper and 1 dozen for $0.99 which of course I will be buying a months worth this week because they are usually $1.68/dozen.
 
I'm really fortunate to have so many grocery stores so close together so making multiple stops (even though it's not my favorite thing to do) is easy and doesn't cost a lot of extra gas money since I'm not having to go out of my way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews