I will admit, I used the same measurements as the pattern suggested but in true Lisa fashion, I did not follow any of their directions. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the directions given in the book, they were clear and easy to follow, I'm just really really bad at following any directions, period. Plus I also had to change a couple things because I refused to go to the craft store until after the holidays. Here are the few changes I made:
The directions say to use snaps but I didn't have any so instead I used velcro as closures for all three of the pockets.
I also made 2 of the needle holders placing them side by side even though the directions only call for one. One just didn't seem like enough.
My one piece of advice: If you look at the picture in the pattern book it will show the top pocket holding a pair of scissors, which is exactly what I wanted to put in the large top pocket of my sewing kit, however, the pocket is too small for the pair of scissors I own. My advice is if you too want a pocket for scissors, measure your scissors and adjust the pocket size as necessary.
This project only took me a couple hours from start to finish, and probably wouldn't have taken that long if I would have turned the darn tv off (that boob tube will suck your life away :).