Monday, February 7, 2011

Eclairs

Every time I watch this movie:
I have this over powering erge to make Eclairs.  Finally I gave into that erge and made some.  Mine looked nothing like Sarah Michelle Gellar's character in the movie but I'm glad I can finally say I made them.

I used the recipe from my old Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.
Here it is for those of you who don't own one:

Eclairs
1/2 c butter or margarine
1 c all purpose flour
4 eggs

In a medium saucepan mix butter, 1 c water and 1/8 tsp salt and bring it to a boil.  Add your flour, stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate.  Take off of heat and let cool 5 minutes.  Add each of your eggs one at a time mixing after each addition.

Put your batter into a pastry bag or if your like me and don't have one use a good old ziploc and cut the tip off one of the corners.  Pipe strips of batter onto a greased baking sheet.  Make each strip about 4 inches long and about 1 inch wide.
They should look something like this:

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let cool.


Use knife and split each open, fill with filling and top with glaze.

Filling: Homemade Whipped Cream
1c whipping cream
2T sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Put all 3 ingredients in a chilled bowl. Use hand mixer with chilled beaters and mix ingredients until soft peaks form.  I put the whipped cream in a ziploc bag, cut the tip off 1 of the corners and pipe into the Eclairs.

Chocolate Glaze for topping
4 oz semisweet chocolate
3T butter or margarine
1 1/2 c sifted powdered sugar

In a small saucepan melt chocolate and butter on low heat, stirring frequently.  When chocolate is melted add powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons hot water, and mix well.  When mixed well drizzle over Eclairs.

 I would have taken pictures of the filling and glaze but I was trying to work quickly with my 3 month old screaming and my husband trying diligently to get him to sleep.

Here's what mine looked like in the end:

Definately not the prettiest but they were tasty and now I can say I have made Eclairs from scratch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews