Wednesday, December 28, 2011

PJ's for Christmas

If you have read my blog I have made lots of PJ pants using the tutorial over at Handmade Mommy,  I really can't say enough times how much I love this tutorial and it has probably been the one I have used the most.  I tell every sewer or wannabe sewer about this tutorial because it is easy and quick, and for beginner sewers it's a great first project to build their confidence.
When I was little every Christmas Eve we got to open one present, that present was always new pj's to wear Christmas morning.  I loved this tradition and wanted to start the same one with my son.  After finding the tutorial at Handmade Mommy I knew it would be so easy to whip these up every year.  Last year I made Grant these pj's:

He was so cute in them so this year I was even more excited to find the perfect fabric and make him some more.  Here's what I came up with this year:


I found the green checked flannel at Joann's after Thanksgiving sale for $1.69/yd.  I had planned on buying a fabric that screamed Christmas but of course they didn't have any on sale for super cheap, then I saw this fabric and thought, "that could work".  I'm so happy I bought it because it was perfect.  I could not find a solid red long sleeve shirt anywhere, and yes I think I looked everywhere.  So what is a crafter to do? Make one of course!  I have a pile of clothes to repurpose and in that pile are a few red Ohio State Buckeye shirts that no longer fit.  I took 2 of those (hence the 2 different shades of red on the front and arms of the shirt) and cut the pieces for the shirt, then just sewed it all together.  I still have yet to master the repurposing of shirts.  The neck on this one once again is not just right and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong, but that is for another day.
I decided to keep the theme of appliquing a "G" on the front of his Christmas pj's every year.  Since I chose to make a red shirt instead of matching the green I just used a scap piece of fabric from the pants to make the "G", used Heat N Bond to adhere it, and used a blanket stitch around the edges.

After finishing his Christmas pj's and being so satisfied with them I whipped up another pair using the Curious George fabric I had bought and intended to use for his 1st birthday before changing the theme to Toy Story.


Are they cute or what?
I adore this fabric and I have to say, my little man looks pretty darn cute in them too.  This will be a tradition every year at our house, new pj's to wear Christmas morning and new pj's under the tree.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews