Saturday, July 16, 2011

Jean Skirt Repurpose

My mom happened to buy a pair of girl 12 month jeans at a yard sale and since I've been in the mood to repurpose anything instead of throwing it out or getting rid of it, I thought this was a perfect opportunity.

My neice is only 3 months old so I new she wouldn't fit into these for a long time, however my cousin-in-law's daughter was a perfect fit, and go figure they said she was in need of skirts or dresses.  I didn't take pictures of the process because of course I didn't think about it at the time and was sewing at about midnight in between Grant waking up.

  I took the pair of jeans and cut a straight line across right above the middle.  Next I used a measuring tape and measured all the way around and cut a piece of fabric 22 inches long and 4 inches wide, this is for the ruffle.  If you want a bigger ruffle you can always make yours 6 inches wide.  Now fold your fabric in half to make it 2 inches wide and iron it down.  Use the widest stitch on your machine, it's called a basting stitch, and sew your fabric together, all 22 inches of it. 

Time to gather and create your ruffle.  Just take one end of your thread and pull until it begins to gather and continue until you have gathered all of it, making one long ruffle.  Now pin your ruffle right sides together along the bottom of the skirt cutting off any excess at the end. 

This is what you should end up with.


I didn't use a stretchy fabric so I had to iron my ruffle down once I was finished sewing, otherwise it sticks straight out.  Either way I think it's kind of cute and I can't wait to see it on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews