Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cloth Diapering

I am a pretty frugal person so when I got pregnant I tried to think of ways to save money.  One of those ways I found was cloth diapering.  One thing I found to be very aggravating was everyone telling me I was crazy for wanting to use them and how disgusting it would be to change and wash poopy cloth diapers.  Well I'm here to say, It's really not that bad.  If anyone out there is on the fence about it get a few and try it because it's not bad at all.  The only thing I have found is my son pees alot at night and it doesn't matter what I do he soaks through the cloth ones every time. So to save me from having to change his clothes, sheets, and blankets at 3 in the morning I use disposables during the night.

I searched many different sites online and looked at the different brands such as fuzzibunz but the price of $15+ per diaper was way too much for me.  There was no way I could afford to buy enough diapers to get me through a day or two at that price.  I was very fortunate to have my mom buy some all in one diapers for me as a baby shower gift but I also received the old school prefolds with rubber pants like my mom used when I was a baby.  Originally I didn't want to use the prefolds because I thought they wouldn't work as well and I didn't like the idea of using safety pins.  I think many moms may feel the same about this, so I bought some Snappis and I love them.  I actually find it easier sometimes to use the prefolds, rubber pants, and the Snappi than the all in ones.
Here's a picture of the Snappi's in case someone doesn't know what they are:


To give you an idea of how much money we save we used disposables during our christmas trip to ohio for 2 weeks.  During those 2 weeks we probably went through at least 3+ bags of disposables.  That's roughly 150 diapers.  We buy target brand which is about $7 for 42 diapers so that's 4 bags for a total of about $30.  If we were using them all the time it would be about $60 a month give or take depending.

When we use cloth at home and only use the disposables for night time and going out places, we probably go through about 3 diapers a night and if we are out maybe 1-2 (during the week we don't usually go anywhere so this is mainly just on the weekend).  That's about a bag of diapers every 2-3 weeks.  We save about 50% or more on disposable diapers.  Knowing those numbers is enough for me to deal with the occasional blow out and cleaning the  poops in cloth diapers.  Its worth it!

1 comment:

  1. We are also cloth diapering with #2... it's great! We have had a lot of people (especially older parents) who say something about the grossness... but really it's barely any different! Plus, the savings is AMAZING... if you want to think about it... I got the Bum Genius 3.0 diapers. I was able to get "seconds"- the stitching might be a little off. The liner is suppose to hold 12 oz and then if you add the "doubler" a total of 18oz. We don't have a problem with our little guy (born 11-8) wetting through and he sleeps about 9 hours without a diaper change each night. It might be worth the investment to get a couple for night time? Here are the websites I got mine from... you have to check every once and awhile for the seconds or sales.

    http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=98

    http://www.thanksmama.com/bumGenius_Cloth_Diapers_s/126.htm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews