Thursday, March 17, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I made this per my husband's request the other night and it was really good, and I'm not even a big fan of broccoli cheese soup.  I found this recipe online, where exactly I have no clue, but as usual I ended up changing some of it.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 (16oz) bags frozen broccoli
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (I used 6 cups water and 4 chicken bullion cubes)
1 1/2 lbs velveeta cheese (I used 1 lb regular velveeta and 1/2 lb mexican velveeta)-cubed
pepper
1 onion-chopped
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
6T butter

Simmer broccoli in chicken broth until tender.  In a medium sized pan saute onion in butter for about 5 minutes.  Flour to make a thick pastry like paste.  Add milk about a half cup at a time and stir until thick.  Add the onion/milk mixture to your broccoli and broth, stir well.  Add your cubed velveeta cheese and stir until its melted completely.  Do not let your soup boil.  Add as much pepper as you like.

My husband likes spicey and hot flavors and I had both kinds of velveeta, if you only have regular velveeta I'm sure the soup would still be as good, the mexcian just adds a little more flavor to it.  The bonus to this recipe is it should freeze well.  As anyone who has read some of this blog of mine knows I love recipes that freeze well.  My husband doesn't like many things leftover but I hate wasting food.  Not to mention financial times are tough and it is always in the back of my mind that there may come a time when we don't have much money to spend on groceries.  It makes me feel good knowing we have extra stocked up in our freezer if we are in need or someone we know is in a rough spot.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews