Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My 1st Pie

What did I spend the better part of 2 hours doing last night?  Making this Chocolate Cream pie, every bit of it from scratch (excuse the picture, I took it with my cell phone because I was so excited I text messaged it to my husband).


However my excitement was short lived when I went to see if it had cooled to put it in the fridge.  Aparently the meringue (is that even how you spell it, oh well you know what I mean) wasn't "sealed" well enough.  What the heck does it mean when the stupid thing says to seal the meringue, would have been nice to have some sort of definition in the Better Home and Garden Cookbook, so I wouldn't have wasted so much of my time and messed up my entire kitchen.  The meringue pulled away from the edge and there was watery (is that even a word?) crap between the meringue and the chocolate filling.  Needless to say all I really wanted to do was chuck the whole thing, pie plate and all, out the back door.

The biggest disappointment was the ruining of my vision.  You see every time I cook or bake I feel like I am getting in touch with the 1950's housewife in me.  You know the one whose hair is done perfectly, and is standing in front of the stove in her heels, dress, and apron, waiting for the hubby to come through the door and rave about how wonderful it smells and how great everything tastes.  No this is not at all how I look while I am cooking.  Usually I am in my sweats, hair pulled back in a ponytail, no makeup, and part of the food on the front of my shirt.  To prove it my husband came home the other day, I was wearing a pair of jeans and an Aeropostale polo shirt, and he asked me why I was so dressed up?  Haha.  How sad is that?

Anyway I always have that vision and I had it when I pulled this gorgeous pie out of the oven.  I was so proud of myself.  My poor husband, out of the goodness of his heart, cut into it (watery crap leaking all around) and tried a piece.  I swears it was ok and it just needed to cool in the fridge to set up more.  I disagree and I know no matter how long it sits in the fridge it will remain a sloppy, watery, congealed mess.  

From now on I think I will stick to the recipes that don't have a million steps and make sure the steps they do have are very clear.  This is what I get for baking instead of sewing, I knew I should have locked myself in my sewing room, I'm sure my results would have been a lot better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews