Thursday, March 31, 2011

Update on Homemade Laundry Detergent and Baby Wipes

I posted about my homemade laundry detergent back on February 7th and to this day  I am still using the same batch I whipped up then, that's almost 2 months and with a 5 month old I do at least 1 load of laundry a day usually 2 including cloth diapers.  I have had no issues with stains coming out, none that I wouldn't have with any other detergent.  I have a tendency to forget to use a stain treatment on the many bibs my little one gets bright orange carrots on, but I consider that my fault due to lack of attention to details. 

I am just now getting to the end of my batch, probably still have at least 5 or more loads I can get out of it before I absolutely have to make more.  I'm super excited about how long it's lasted and how well it's done on our clothes, completely worth the little bit of time it took, and a bargain compared to other detergents.

I also made baby wipes, I posted about here.  I have been using homemade baby wipes ever since then except for when we go out, which isn't very often, then I use store bought wipes.  I don't think this would really be necessary.  The homemade wipes would probably hold up just fine in a to-go case.  I bought a large package of 6 Bounty paper towels for $6.  I cut each of them in half and half a roll lasts us about a week, sometimes a little more or less depending on how many blow out BM's we have in a week.  So 1 package of paper towels lasts us about 12 weeks or 3 months,  that's about $2 a month on baby wipes, not bad huh? 

I have changed the recipe I use for the wipes just because I ran out of baby oil and didn't really want to spend money on more.  The recipe I use now is 1cup water, 1/4 cup baby wash (probably a little less than this because I don't measure), and a couple squirts of baby lotion.  Now the wipes are not quite as soapy but still work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews