Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade Croutons

I was walking through Walmart the other day doing my usual weekly grocery shopping and what do I find, loaves of french bread for $0.56, Score!  I was so excited, a bought a loaf without really knowing what I wanted to use it for, but who can pass up bread for $0.56. 
We are having a dinner for my in-laws next weekend to celebrate my mother-in-laws birthday.  We planned on having steak, baked potato, salad, and dessert.  So I thought why not make homemade croutons for the salads.  I had been wanting to try them for a while now but just never got around to it.  Here's how I made mine:

I used about half a loaf of the french bread
salt
pepper
italian seasoning (you could also use garlic if you wanted)
olive oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut your bread into approximately 1/2inch chunks a place in bowl.  Drizzle olive oil on top.  Use salt, pepper, and seasoning of your choice to taste.  I used a good amount of salt and pepper but was nervous about getting too much italian seasoning, after they were finished I wished I would have put more on.  So don't be scared, season liberally for good flavoring.  Mix all ingredients together until bread chunks are evenly covered.  Spread out onto a baking sheet, and bake for approximately 7-10 minutes.  Here's what you end up with:

Place in air tight container or a ziploc bag, and enjoy on salads or to snack on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews