Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Bread with Struesel Topping

I saw this recipe for Sweet Potato bread on Blissful and Domestic and knew with sweet potatoes being so cheap the last couple weeks (39cents a pound, SCORE!), I would have to make some.  We always buy a bunch of sweet potatoes with great intentions of using every last one and always end up with some starting to go bad.  That's when I usually puree it up and freeze it for sweet potato pancakes or muffins.


When I came across the quick bread recipe I was immediately excited at the idea of having another quick bread in my recipe box.  I don't do homemade bread that requires yeast very often because I'm a very impatient person and never let it rise long enough, which inevitably results in a not so light and fluffy loaf of bread.  I love banana bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, etc so I figured why wouldn't I like sweet potato bread.  Not to mention I love the idea of a veggie being in a food I don't have to bribe Grant to eat. 

The only thing I did different to the above recipe was add a streusel topping.  I love streusel toppings and add them to almost every quick bread I make.  It just gives it that added bit of yumminess!
Here's the recipe I used:
1/4c packed brown sugar
1/4c stick butter
1/4c chopped pecans
1t cinnamon
*mix all together with a fork or your fingers and put on top of your bread batter after you put the batter into the loaf pan.

The bread came out super moist and flavorful.  The only problem I had was I had to leave it in the oven for about an extra 20 minutes (due to my stupid oven and it's random temperature changes) so the sides and bottom were a little tough.  I just don't eat that part.  The rest of it was delish, and I plan on buying some more sweet potatoes to make sure I have some frozen puree for future bread making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews